Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A revelation

So, I'm taking a yoga class this semester and it has been really interesting. I've learned a lot. It's been a lot more than just stretching and relaxing (which, I'm not going to lie, were my original expectations); we've had to work really hard. Not only are we building muscle strength, but we're spending a lot of time quieting ourselves, listening to what is happening inside of us, which is really not an easy thing to do.

That has been really enlightening.

When we sit down in class and are focusing on just the physical, like our breathing, our arm position, having good posture, stretching muscles that we don't normally stretch, all kinds of other things seem to pop into my head at the same time.

I think that yoga class is one of the only times that I have where I just sit quietly and am not distracted by facebook, the tv, my phone or homework and that opens up a lot of options. When we sit and quiet ourselves, that's when a lot of heavy things come out for me.

I'm learning to recognize my needs, my feelings that would otherwise be buried deep inside. Yoga is bringing out for me a lot of things that I need to deal with, and time to do work through it and I'm really grateful for that.

I have realized that it is so valuable to sit quietly, to just listen to yourself, so become aware of what is happening inside you. Not only is it important to know what is happening physically but spiritually and emotionally as well.

Take a moment. Sit quietly. Spend some time listening to yourself. See what comes up for you.

2 comments:

  1. mmm holler. i took yoga as my gym credit in college too. good experience for sure. i told my mom when i got back from mexico how i wanted to start up yoga more regularly and she bought me a yoga mat! :) Haven't done it as regularly as I would like, but your post is encouraging me to get back at it! LOVE rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. yey! I've been thinking about trying to find a channel on youtube that does yoga, so I can have something to follow. I don't really know how to direct myself, but after this class is over, I definitely want to continue.

    This one might be good. http://www.youtube.com/user/yogatic

    Man, I have learned somethings that I never would have been able to do before taking a yoga class...like shoulder stand, headstand, "L" shaped arm balance. I feel so cool knowing how to do those!

    p.s. I love you and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete