Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011













I think it is time for a blog featuring some of my favorite book-themed thingamajigs. I realized I have so many, and should share them with you!

4 comments:

  1. Wow I just realized I can comment on this blog! Random...Anyway Carrie, just letting you know I'm following your blog almost daily to stalk your thoughts. These ten books are just a sample of the books I have read for one of my classes and were of great benefit. If you decide to skip out on Mexico and enlist in the military, these books will give you a head start on fighting in a counterinsurgency area of operation such as Afghanistan or Iraq:
    1. 'U.S. Army and Marine Counterinsurgency Field Manual' by General David Petraeus
    2. 'Counterinsurgency Lessons from Malaya and Vietnam: Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife' by John Nagl
    3. 'On War' by Carl von Clausewitz
    4. 'Modern Warfare: A French View of Counterinsurgency' by Roger Trinquier
    5. 'The Counter-Insurgent State: Guerrilla Warfare and State Building in the Twentieth Century' by Paul Rich and Richard Stubbs
    6.'Twenty-Eight Articles: Fundamentals of Company-level Counterinsurgency' by David Kilcullen
    7.'Counterinsurgency Warfare: Theory and Practice' by David Galula
    8.'Villages of the Moon: Psychological Operations in Southern Afghanistan' by M.E. Roberts
    9.‘Counterinsurgency in Afghanistan: RAND Counterinsurgency Study’ by Seth G. Jones
    10. 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu
    Oh, by the way its Phil writing this message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil! I frickin love you. Thanks for the suggested readings...I'll try to get to those after I read 'The Cross and the Switchblade' by David Wilkerson.
    Oh my gosh, I did not know you read this blog and when I was reading your comment I was really confused about who could have written it and then, SURPRISE! It's Phil!

    Thanks for "following [my] blog almost daily to stalk [my] thoughts. " You're awesome.

    p.s How are you?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle of exams right now. I finish in 2 weeks but will stay in the UK until mid-July when the graduation ceremony is. Right now I am #1 on the reserve list for an MA in international Relations at a university in Finland and Russia (so close yet so far! They accepted 8 out of 61 applicants and I am #9). So if God wants me to go there someone has to defer their acceptance. If not I will likely take a year off and work and then reapply there and a couple of other universities for the next year. 'The Cross and the Switchblade' is a good movie. My parents have the book although I have not read it. Have you figured out your future yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I figured out my future yet? No. I have no idea what is going to happen. I'll graduate in December with my degree in Spanish and then...who knows?! I would really like to work with inner city kids and I was thinking about applying for Americorps. They have a year-long program with a location in Houston, which I think would be cool. I would like to use my Spanish and not just waste it, and I think Houston would be the best option for that program. A friend of mine just told me about Dirty Vagabond Ministries (www.dirtyvagabond.com/), which is pretty much exactly what I would want to do with my whole life. Hanging out with inner city kids sounds like the best job ever!
    So, those are my ideas, I don't really know where God will lead me. He's taking me to Mexico and I'm just going to focus on that until He leads me somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete